UNITED WAY OF LOGAN COUNTY IS HIRING!
We're looking for a NEW, full-time VITA Program Coordinator.
The VITA Program Coordinator will be a NEW public-facing role within the United Way of Logan County. The position fills a critical part of our Strategic Plan to positively influence the financial stability of every person in Logan County by coordinating and supervising all aspects of United Way’s NEW Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides low- and moderate-income individuals and families with free, reliable assistance in filing federal tax returns. In 2022, more than 3,200 VITA sites prepared almost one million tax returns which generated $1.8 billion in refunds to low- and moderate-income households in local communities. For low-income families, tax refunds can be a lifeline, helping families meet daily needs. VITA sites assist working families file their taxes and access critical tax refunds used to purchase groceries, pay bills, and build emergency savings. At VITA sites, taxpayers seek out high-quality VITA services to access not only refunds but also other critical benefits to help them navigate the financial hardships resulting from an increasingly tumultuous economy.
There is not a full-service VITA site operating within 50 miles of Bellefontaine. The VITA Program Coordinator will work to establish this program in our community by fully implementing of the best practices of the Internal Revenue Service and other United Way-supported VITA sites in Ohio.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Ensures the site is in compliance with all IRS VITA site requirements.
- Maintain relationship with IRS office for obtaining site materials and other pertinent information. Complete all IRS VITA certifications (Basic, Advanced, etc.) and provide preparation assistance, Quality Reviews and Site Coordination as needed.
- Design and implement operational plans for providing tax assistance in-person and through alternative methods (drop off/pickup, 100% virtual etc.).
- Recruits, train, schedule, and supervise volunteers for the site, ensuring Quality Site Requirements and Volunteer Standards of Conduct are followed by all.
- Helps promote the VITA program throughout the community, including social media, radio, and print.
- Ensures that VITA site is open as scheduled and ensures adequate volunteer coverage, supplies, tax materials, and equipment is maintained.
- Ensures that all tax returns are electronically filed with the IRS in a timely manner and that acknowledgements are reviewed.
- Ensures rejected returns are either corrected or the taxpayer is contacted.
- Ensures that a quality review is conducted on each return prepared by volunteer tax preparers.
- Maintains accurate records of volunteer certifications and volunteer hours.
- Answers taxpayer questions regarding tax law or their tax return.
- Follow site close out policies and procedures and compile post‐season reports for end‐of‐season wrap‐up and evaluation.
- Plan/host volunteer recognition event at the end of the filing season.
- During the tax off-season, will assist with internal United Way programming, including meeting with clients in the Housing Stability Program, LIVE UNITED @ WORK Financial Wellness program, and help with United Way events and fundraisers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may be added or deleted based on business need.
Education & Experience
- Bachelors degree and / or 1-3 years experience in any of the following: Tax Preparation, Volunteer Management, Banking or Finance, Social Service, Non-Profit work.
- Must be able to complete IRS VITA certification at the Advanced Level.
- Basic computer skills for inputting tax return information into tax software (TaxSlayer).
- Strong attention to detail, organizational and time management skills.
- Compassionate ability to work with diverse populations of clients and volunteers.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable personal transportation.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes some evenings and Saturdays during tax season, which runs from February through April.
Salary Range: $45,000 to $50,000
- 3-weeks vacation
- 11 paid holidays. Other leaves as defined in the Personnel Policy
- Retirement: 4% of base salary paid annually to the investment account of your choice
Employee Business Expense/Travel Allowance
Use of United Way company vehicle for work travel. Personal transportation expenses for travel shall be at the current Federal level of reimbursement where a personal vehicle is being used. The United Way shall reimburse staff for expenses incurred for lodging and meals while conducting United Way business.
Send cover letter, resume, and references to Dave Bezusko at email@example.com.